“The key to creating a home meditation practice is to create a space where the busyness stops.”
Thích Nhất Hạnh
A dedicated meditation space that is peaceful and comforting can do wonders for your meditation session. To create a peaceful sitting area where you can focus on your breathing, look around your home and notice how each room creates a certain feeling. Our surroundings have a profound effect on how we feel, how we think and how we interact and connect with others. From the furniture pieces to the wall colours, design elements of a meditation space must have a purpose – and that is to support your practice of breathing mindfully. As a luxury aluminium windows manufacturer, we share with you some useful insights on creating a dedicated meditation space where you can pause, breathe and connect with your inner self:
Useful Insights On Creating A Dedicated Meditation Space
- Keep the room clean and uncluttered: No one can practise mindfulness in a cluttered and untidy space. Also, clutter not only visually mars the aesthetic appeal of a space, but can also affect a person’s mental health. According to a study, clutter can negatively impact mental well-being. This doesn’t mean that you get rid of everything. This means that you must make sure that everything has a place.
- Make your meditation space comfortable: Meditating comfortably will help you focus better and for longer periods. You can sit on a chair or a couch to meditate. If you want to sit on the floor, you can use a zafu, a meditation cushion.
- Install noise reduction windows: While you are meditating, the last thing you want is noise from the traffic distracting you. If you are renovating your home, it is a good idea to install noise reduction windows. These windows can be of great help especially if you live in the city where there is constant outdoor noise coming into the house.The frames of our noise reduction WiWA certified windows are made of Duranium™. These sturdy frames along with high-performance glass block outdoor noise out. Our windows are tested to reduce outdoor noise by up to 35dB. To know about the aluminium window sliding price and aluminium openable window price, book a free consultation.
- Practise aromatherapy: As smell is one of the most evocative senses, use aromatherapy to create a calming space to practise meditation. Use essential oils, such as peppermint, chamomile or lavender to soothe your mind, body and soul. You can also use candles, heating oils or lighting incense to receive the many benefits of aromatherapy when meditating.
- Decorate your space with natural elements: A great way to create a meditation space at home is by incorporating nature into your home. You can place flowers such as roses, lilies, jasmine and other beautiful and fragrant flowers in a vase to naturally scent the space and create a soothing environment. Other natural items such as shells, bamboo or jute can provide a relaxed ambience and improve the aesthetics of the room.
- Add relaxing elements: You can place a statue of Buddha, hang a picture depicting Krishna playing a flute or use crystals, chimes and bells. You can also hang inspiring posters and pictures that create a sense of calm and help you restore your sense of peace. Decor items such as tabletop waterfall fountains or wall mounted fountains induce a sense of relaxation and unity with one’s surroundings.